Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The floor is complete

I decided to put down a Hardrock floor as I believed it would be:
1. Easy to install
2. Easy to clean
3. Have a nice look to it

If you've never seen the commercial for Hardrock products here it is: HH Hardrock
Note the ease with which the woman coats her patio in 3 simple steps, I would like to tell you what it really takes to install this stuff... Unlike the commercial and the brochure, this is no easy 3 step process, but a 5 step 9 day process that is outlined in the paperwork included in each can of Hardrock.

Step 1: Etch the concrete. I needed to wash the floor with soap and water, then rinse thoroughly. Then I mixed the solid etching agent with water and covered the floor area. With a broom I rubbed the acid into the floor.
Step 2: Wait 24 hours then wash the floor several times to ensure there is no etching residue, let dry for 2 hours
Step 3: Apply textured primer paint to the floor using a paint brush and roller then wait 4 hours
Step 4: Apply first coat of Hardrock USING A TROWEL, "No backbreaking work" my ass. Wait 48 hours and repeat.
Step 5: Wait 48 hours and apply the sealant with a roller. Wait another 48 hours to apply the last coat of sealant.

I am now waiting the last 48 hours in the process so that I can put the equipment in the room.

Here's a picture of the finished floor:
It looks good, will be durable and easy to clean, so I'm very happy with the final product. I'm just not a fan of false advertising.

Cheers,

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment